This is one of those staple recipes that my family makes all of the time. It’s easy, delicious, and doesn’t take lot of prep or hands-on cook time. Enjoy!!
Serves: 7 (2 legs each)
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours (in crockpot), 10 minutes (on the BBQ)
Total Time: 6 hours 12 minutes
- 1-2.5 lb. package of Chicken Drumsticks (about 14 legs)
- 2 jars of your favorite BBQ sauce; mix 2 or more for some extra flavor (my favorites are Bull’s-Eye Original, Sweet Baby Ray’s Original, and Trader Joe’s Bold & Smoky Kansas City Style BBQ sauce)
- Place chicken and 1 jar of BBQ sauce in the crockpot.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours.
- Preheat BBQ, to medium high heat, for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the chicken on a foil-covered cookie sheet (the chicken gets really tender and will break apart easily, so be careful when removing it from the crockpot; I use a good pair of tongs).
- Carefully place the chicken legs on the BBQ grill.
- Baste the chicken with additional BBQ sauce.
- BBQ the chicken, with the top closed, for approximately 5 minutes, or until you see a blackened color (my family really loves their chicken about 30-50% black; it gives the legs a ton of smoky flavor!).
- Carefully flip the chicken over using tongs and a spatula. While holding the chicken with the tongs, scrape underneath the leg and lift (this will help keep the chicken legs from falling off the bone).
- Baste chicken with BBQ sauce.
- BBQ chicken for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Kim Cameron Valencia CA
MY FAMILY RECIPE BLOG